4.23.2008

FO: Side to Side Cable Top



Finished! Just in time for the sudden onset of warm weather. I loved the yarns, especially the color and texture created by carrying along the rose mohair with the beige base yarn. I think this first photo shows the pink tones in the mohair best.



Halfway through the neck/body portion, I realized that this was going to be way too small if I followed the directions. I did swatch this out, but I didn't pay attention to the row gauge. I had to add another 1/4 repeat of the neck cable pattern to make the body wide enough.



This modification made the cabled neckline asymetrical, and while knitting I couldn't decide if that would make the sweater more interesting, or sort of strange. I kept on knitting anyway, and I don't think it made much of a difference in the end.



Details: Side to side cabled top by Louisa Harding from Vogue Knitting's 25th anniversary issue. Knit on 5's and 9's in one piece and then seamed up the sides. 7 skeins of Sublime Yarns Cashmere Merino Silk DK and 7 skeins of Sublime Yarns Kid Mohair Blend, purchased at String Yarns on East 82nd St. This took about a month to knit.



Now onto something more weather-appropriate. Maybe my next knit will be a cotton or linen prairie tunic?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love love love it!
I added it to my queue and it's all your fault! :-)

Anonymous said...

Cute! I like your version more than the magazine's!

maitai said...

i love it! it looks great on you. is the sweater itchy due to the fact that you used mohair?

janice said...

pretty! there are so many sweaters that i don't notice in magazines until i see them on your blog, and then i'm like hmm...maybe i want to make that, too..

juicyknits said...

This is gorgeous. It suits you so nice. Well, and I couldn't see anything asymetrical about it in the pictures. Great job!

lekkercraft said...

Really pretty, Anne! It looks soft. None of those Vogue patterns have caught my eye, but you definitely make them work!

Unknown said...

Very nice! I don't remember anything this pretty in the anniversary issue...

Teresa said...

That is gorgeous! *adding to queue*

Anonymous said...

this is so beautiful and looks fantastic on you! I had wanted to make this a while back but never did...you've totally inspired me to take it up in the fall

jenna said...

Absolutely beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Looks fantastic on you :-) I always love what you choose to knit!

A Homely Heroine said...

Its gorgeous! I love the neckline, its much more stylish. Very cool!

kat coyle said...

I love this sweater! It looks amazing on you. And your shoe store carries some mighty fine footwear. drool.

Lolly said...

It is so elegant! lovely knitting and great photos too!

Susan said...

So beautiful! Absolutely fabulous.

Anonymous said...

whoa!!! that's awesome!

drew
www.drew-o-rama.com

Philigry said...

this is besutiful! I love your space here. I hope you had fun in Rockport. I live in Maine, and i sure do love it!