6.11.2007

FO: Vogue Ribbed Minidress


Finally got some buttons! Here's the finished minidress, all seamed, woven, buttoned up, and err, wrinkled. I had tossed her into a bag on Saturday, thinking that I would find a nice place to take a photo of her during a long day of driving all around the Bay Area. I forgot to take photos then, and when I finally got around to it today, she was all wrinkled. I think she still looks pretty good, but maybe just a little too short.



I can't really wear her as a dress without worrying about the wind, so I guess this is one of those tunic tops. I've already blocked her, so I don't think she'll get much longer.




It took a long time for me to decide what yarn to knit this pattern with, and I am really pleased with how it turned out with the Koigu KPM. It is really soft and lightweight, as I didn't want the dress to get saggy and weighed down by some dense yarn. The smaller gauge helped out with sizing, as I wanted the bust measurement to be a bit smaller that the pattern's smallest size. She fits perfectly up there.


Details: Ribbed Mini Dress by Mari Lynn Patrick from Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer 2007 issue. Knitted with 6 skeins of Koigu KPM color 229. Used size 4s for the skirt section (for faster knitting), size 2s for the waist ribbing, and size 3s for everything above the waist (for a snug fit and for more opacity). I modified the pattern to make it shorter, but it turned out a couple inches shy of a dress. Except for in these photos, she will be worn as a tunic.

Aside from the dress, I have started a couple of stashbusting projects. After Hawaii, and now moving cross country, I have no $$ for yarn and not too much time to knit. Sigh. Oh and my invitation to Ravelry (!!!) has also cut into my knitting time. Yes, it's as fantastic as everybody has been saying all along.

I bought my one-way ticket to New York last night! Ack! The big move is officially on July 2. We have hired a real estate broker who, along with my sister, is looking for apartments for us. It's really scary to look at apartments from across the country. Weird.

24 comments:

soknitpicky said...

LOVE this! I am on a yarn & magazine diet, so I can't buy this mag just yet, but you've convinced me it's worth it!! Best of luck on your move!

Filambulle said...

funny: I did not recognize you with your black hair at first. You look terrific with this hair and this dress/tunic! You are lucky to wear knitted dresses sooo well. (I voted for you and your yellow dress in the last knit crafsters contest.)
Congratulations, and good luck for your move.
xo from switzerland

janice said...

oh, ravelry! i'm jealous.

i love your new hair though you do look totally different. your dress is great, too. i finished the twinkle groovy sweater dress...only to try it on and find out it was HUGE, unfortunately. :(

good luck with your move~

chookie said...

wow you look amazing! I wanted to knit this but I was afraid the "knit" style would weigh me down but now i'm having second thoughts (and need to track down a backissue!). :p

Good luck with the apartment hunting! I am also doing the whole looking at houses over the internet type thing because I will be moving 6 hours across the state at the end of year .. It's exciting but scary at the same time.

margaux said...

this dress looks great! i really like it so much more now that i see it knitted up! Excellent yarn choice! I heart koigu! And yes good luck on your move...

pamela wynne said...

I love it!! I've been thinking about knitting this one, but wasn't sure how it would look on -- yours looks fabulous!

Yarnhog said...

Cute, cute, cute! I also wouldn't be able to wear it too comfortably at that length, but I'll bet it would be great over a pair of jeans!

lekkercraft said...

your dress looks great! i can't believe what small needles it called for.

(btw, thanks for the pic comment - it is indeed on the rooftop of my apt. building). Are you looking in a specific neigborhood for an apt?

Faith said...

Your FO's always amaze me! The dress is fantastic and the details are bewildering- great job!

Sandra said...

stunning!! gorgeous! and the dress is ok, too. ;) hee hee.

ravelry is like crack. i'm totally addicted.

jenna said...

This was my favorite pattern in the magazine and it came out beautifully!! I love it love it love it. It'll look fantastic with jeans or however you decide to wear it! :)

lomester said...

i think i commented this on flickr, but i will do it again. you totally can pull that off as a dress. you look TERRIFIC! were it not for my hips i would be adding this to my ravelry queue now!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Wow, your dress is a stunning accomplishment!! I am a Ravelry nut as well, I just can't believe how useful it is...good luck with your move!

Anonymous said...

very cool -- very impressive knitting. put on some tights & have fun! janet

dileri said...

Love it! Your dress is gorgeous and really suits you. I like the color, too - do you remember what number it is?

Julia (MindofWinter) said...

It looks great on you. What a fantastic FO - it should be a great piece for NYC.

lupinbunny said...

maybe with opaque tights you could wear it as a dress? seems a pity to put the bulk of jeans or whatever under the nice clean lines.BlueBird32

Team Knit said...

That minidress is gorgeous- and I can see why you were choosy about the buttons- the ones you decided on are perfect. I think it looks great that length, but 'too short' is so subjective. Is it possibly to add something to the bottom, if you wanted, to make it longer?
- Julie

Unknown said...

oh, it came so pretty! i have been on a bit of a knitting hiatus lately, but seeing your dress finished has definitely inspired me to get back to work. love it!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to nyc! I totally have to make that dress now that I've seen yours. I knit about half a dress from a Rebecca pattern once upon a time and had to rip it. I haven't had the balls to try another yet...

Knitting Up A Storm said...

That is the most gorgeous knit dress i've seen! You did a great job on it! Everything-even the buttons-look fabulous! :)

Team Knit said...

I just came across this today on net-a-porter.com - There is a $1000 Chloe dress that looks an awful lot like yours! here's the link:

http://www.net-a-porter.com/am/product/19592?cm_mmc=LinkshareUS-_-ProductFeed-_-Chloe-_-Day+Dresses&siteID=J84DHJLQkR4-vT0YlJjYppY8MsYxGnANOQ


- Julie

Cheap Timberland said...

Christian Louboutin Shoes Christian Louboutin Shoes
Jimmy Choo Shoes Jimmy Choo Shoes

Ida said...

Hello, Your mini dress turned out beuatifully :-) It might seem like an odd request, but I wonder if you know where I can find this pattern, since the magazine is not on the market anymore? I would love to knit this one... Hope you can help, I saw the pattern on ravelry.

Best regards,
Ida