3.24.2007

FO: Best Friend Cardigan


So here's my finished Best Friend Cardigan, or as I like to call it, my Gorilla Smurf sweater, which is what I felt like when I first put it on. It didn't help that my two coworkers gave me the crazy look when I wore it to work on Friday. After that dose of humiliation, I felt like frogging it, but it is slowly growing on me. The chunky yarn and chubby seams make my shoulders about 4 inches broader, but maybe that's not such a bad thing.


Then, while my man was taking these photos, I remembered that I have the perfect belt for this. Voila! More feminine, less gorilla smurf, right? I think I just need to be careful about how I wear it, and try to keep the bottom half of my outfit as streamlined as possible, i.e. cigarette pants, skinny jeans, pencil skirt. I was wearing a poofy patterned skirt when I left the house on Friday, which may have been cause for my coworkers' befuddled looks.

I think I'm going to keep her!

Details: 6 skeins of Cascade's Lana Grande (double stranded) on size 19 circs. I had barely 1 foot of yarn left over after seaming. This was really quick and fun to make. I knit it up single stranded first, then decided I didn't like it, frogged the whole thing, and then knit it up again and it still took only about one week to complete. I got the jumbo buttons at Britex downtown.


I just picked up another 6 skeins of soft chunky at YarnPaperScissors in Burlingame. The owner bought way more colors and skeins than Imagiknit, which suprised me, because it is a much smaller store. I bought a nice yellow called "Canary" that I am going to knit the hoodie with. Yippee for quickee chunkees!


Now that I am starting to plan my cross country move, I 'm getting a little sentimental about San Francisco. Also, I have a good reason to finally buy this necklace that I have always coveted:
My diamond would be over San Francisco, of course.
I think I saw it about a year ago on daily candy, loved it, forgot about, and now I need it! They are available here http://www.stateofmine.com/ and you can get it customized for any state and city.

9 comments:

Tiger Feet said...

beautiful, not gorilla smurfy at all... and the belt really helps.

OLGAJAZZY said...

I adore your cardi and even more adore the colorway!~
Great Job! Please don't frog!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Your colleagues must be nuts.

Vouray said...

I heart the cardigan! Don't frog it!

Faith said...

This looks fantastic on you! Bulky is so hard to wear but you pull it off- great job.

Knitting Up A Storm said...

Wow-- that looks amazing, espeically with the matching belt & skirt! You've got some great knits on hand!

Anonymous said...

I found your blog after looking for a photo of this sweater, i think I'm inspired to make it now!

Anonymous said...

The large gauge and buttons make it look like a sweater for a lifesize doll. It's very chic and original. Your slim figure can really pull it off.

ChelleC said...

You look absolutely adorable in this sweater, especially with the belt and skirt. Tada!

I found your blog through Crafster.

You make a good point about how to wear these bulky knits on top, with slim fitting slacks or skirt below.