4.15.2007

My First FO: Steek Tank from Loop d Loop

I rediscovered this is my closet yesterday and wore it for the first time in two years. Actually, it is only the second time I have worn it since I made it.

It's the Steek Tank from Teva Durham's "Loop d Loop" book. A couple of years ago, I used to casually lurk about on craftster, mostly on the sewing boards, until I came across a knitter who had made the steek tank. I fell in love with the sweater and vowed to learn to knit so that I could make my very own steek tank. First I bought the book, next came yarn and needles from knitpicks, then hours of instruction courtesy of knittinghelp.com, and not long after that, I had my coveted hand knitted steek tank. I wore it once (to show off that I had learned to knit, and even made a whole vest!), and that was it.

For whatever reason, I had a hard time pairing it with my usual everyday wardrobe, so I slowly forgot about it. I cleaned out my closet recently and found it in a lonely section of my closet, and yesterday, decided it was just the thing to wear with my new grey jeans. So here she is, a past FO, but a significant one, finally deemed worthy of a couple of photos.

Details: Steek Tank from Teva Durham's "Loop d Loop." Knitted on size 15 circs with Knitpick's "Panache." Finished in 2005, too long ago too remember how many skeins I used.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

holy cow, that looks hot on you! i'm glad you dug that out of your closet, it goes perfectly with your jeans.

this reminds me that i need to wear my handknits more. . .

pamela wynne said...

great story! and how refreshing to see a new knitter who bypassed the crappy acrylic washcloths and garter stitch scarves, and went straight for the good stuff. (when I think of all the time I wasted...) ;)

knitlit kate said...

love the white with that soft grey t-neck. and the necklaces are the perfect accessory! nice job.

Knitizen K said...

That DOES look great on you! I have the book and the steek tank was the first item I planned to knit from it. You've inspired me to make it sooner rather than later!

Sweetpea4kids said...

Its gorgeous. I can see why you wanted to knit now. Well done on your first FO.

Knitizen K said...

Okay, cut it out now! I looked at your Knitting on Flickr and we choose all the same styles! The only problem is, I have at least 30 lbs. on you, so the chunky knits do NOT flatter. The Twinkle tunic looks great!

Knitting Up A Storm said...

Ooo... that's really unique-looking! I like the whole drop-stitch idea in the middle of the tank. Nice work!

Anonymous said...

Love it. Actually I think your picture is better than the book's: it has made me think maybe I'll make it. I wondered what it looked like with something underneath it and the answer is - good!