3.13.2007

FO: Twiggy Tunic























Here's my finished Twiggy Tunic, with a disclaimer: my boyfriend took amazing pictures of this. I have to admit that it is really not very flattering, doesn't fit well, and is difficult to wear.

Details: I used Berroco Bling Bling yarn that I bought on closeout about a year ago. It is a cotton/acrylic blend with gold flecks. I knit the xs size on US 15 needles.

The fit is drapey and loose to the point where it actually slips off my shoulder, and could potentially completely fall off. I have tried to remedy this by attempting to shrink it in the washing machine in the hot cycle. No luck. This cotton sack is only going to get bigger, I'm afraid. The sleeves are especially big around my shoulder/bicep area. I know that a lot of people are concerned about the 22" finished measurement of this sweater, so let my experience soothe your fears. My 22" sweater stretched to about 36" and stayed there, which is unfortunate given my wimpy 29" bust.
I did enjoy knitting it, especially since it took about a week to complete. I still want to knit more from Twinkle's book, specifically the Best Friend Cardigan. I might pick up some chunky wool today, which seems sorta crazy given that it has been 80 degrees in San Francisco for the last four days.
*Update: On the craftster knitalong, someone suggested that I crochet a single chain inside the base of the neckline ribbing to pull in the color. This totally worked! I wore it to work on Friday, and I ran around all day without having to tug it back up onto my shoulders. Yay!

9 comments:

Vouray said...

I believe that you and I are living parallel lives on different coasts! The Twinkle yarn is nice, I bought it from the rep and haven't received it yet to knit with it! I'll let you know how it is!

the fabled needle (jen) said...

Well, it looks nice in the picture - too bad it doesn't fit well! I just got the book and have been bugging Imagiknit on 18th about the Twinkle yarn, though I'm considering Cascade Magnum. Do you think a tighter gauge would have helped this sweater?

Becky-Dee said...

Wow! This sweater looks really really great! I am surprised that this sweater stretched so much seeing that in the book it calls for a Twinkle Cruise a cotton/silk blend anyway. I was planning to make this one aswell as soon as my book gets here! I was planning to use a wool blend.......

Mrs. H said...

(Hi! I saw your Nora G. cardigan post on Crafster, which led me here to peek at your blog!) I love how the Twiggy sweater looks in the pictures. You've officially convinced me to buy that book, even if your sweater isn't so wearable! Great job!

soknitpicky said...

Your sweater looks good in the photo at least :-) Big bummer that it doesn't fit well, but thank you so much for sharing your experience. This was the ONE design I was considering from the book. I will maybe have to rethink. Do you think a stretchier yarn blend would help some?

Vouray said...

Classic Elite called to tell me my Twinkle order has been shipped! Gasp!

the fabled needle (jen) said...

Thanks for the info and comments.

I look forward to reading more of your posts! :)

allie said...

You are, without a doubt, the cutest knitter on the web. Even though the sweater is too big in the bust, it looks awesome in the picture. The Twinkle is on my list of books I want. I may need to splurge soon.

Yarnhog said...

Well, it looks great. I often use a row of single crochet to make up for extra ease around necklines and armholes. Because the single crochet is really inelastic, you can fix a multitude of stretchy problems with it.